Josh Allen leads NFL jersey sales, Russell Wilson leads in 7 states: Fanatics
Whether Russell Wilson pays for the Denver Broncos remains to be seen, but the quarterback has already paid for the Fanatics. The giant apparel company released its list of best-selling NFL jerseys on Thursday, as it usually does on the verge of kicking off the new season.
Instead of a typical top five or top 10 for jersey sales, Fanatics CEO Michael Rubin posted a short video with a look at the 50 states filled by jerseys, each scoring the best-selling in this state since the start of training camp.
And Wilson, who the Seattle Seahawks traded in March, boasted the best-selling jersey in seven states, including Arizona, which, of course, has its own NFL team in the Arizona Cardinals. . He naturally led Colorado along with Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Alaska and Idaho. In his old Washington State stomping ground, his former target DK Metcalf now has the top seller.
“@DangeRussWilson leads with seven states, but @JoshAllenQB has the highest overall jersey sales since training camp began,” Rubin tweeted. He also noted that Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Tom Brady is in the top five — presumably the top five selling list.
The @NFL is back!! So cool to see the best selling jerseys on @Fanatics broken down by state. @DangeRussWilson leads with 7 states, but @JoshAllenQB has the highest overall jersey sales since training camp began, and it’s no surprise that the 🐐 @TomBrady is part of the Top 5. pic.twitter.com/wM5Ek9R1ke
—Michael Rubin (@michaelrubin) September 8, 2022
Allen’s jersey is the #1 seller in New York State and, oddly enough, in South Carolina. Allen went to school in Wyoming, so there is no college connection.
Rookies are usually high on these lists, as it’s the first chance for fans to pick up their merchandise. But only one rookie is a current bestseller: Aidan Hutchinson, the Michigan native who was drafted by the Detroit Lions. Only one quarterback has gone to the first round this year: Kenny Pickett at the Steelers.
In Pennsylvania, it’s not Pickett’s jersey, but Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver AJ Brown, who claims the No. 1 seller. He’s also the top seller in New Jersey and Delaware.
Unsurprisingly, free agents and traded players, whose jerseys are new to fans, have won many of the top spots, including Wilson, Brown and, in Nevada, Davante Adams, who was traded to the Raiders in March after a brilliant career in Green Bay. Baker Mayfield, who the Cleveland Browns traded in July to the Carolina Panthers, is the Fanatics’ No. 1 jersey in two states: North Carolina and Oklahoma, where he played in college.
Patrick Mahomes has cleaned up in the middle of the country, as the Kansas City Chiefs’ star QB jersey is the No. 1 seller in four states: Missouri, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska. Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott’s jersey is the No. 1 seller in Mississippi and Alabama, but not in his home market of Texas. That nod goes to Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons.
Brady’s is the best-selling jersey in Florida, Utah and Arkansas. His old New England haunt is dominated by Patriots quarterback Mac Jones, whose jersey is the No. 1 seller in Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island and New Hampshire.
The Los Angeles Rams may be Super Bowl champions and may have a bigger presence in Los Angeles than their SoFi Stadium co-occupiers, the Chargers, but that team’s quarterback Justin Herbert has the California No. 1 jersey. Herbert also leads in Oregon, where he played in college.
• Louisiana are thrilled that former LSU star Tyrann Mathieu is back in the state to play for the New Orleans Saints. It claims the best seller in the state.
• Wisconsin Packers fans prefer running back AJ Dillon’s jersey. He is one of three running backs who are bestsellers, joining Titans back Derrick Henry in Tennessee and Colts star Jonathan Taylor in Indiana.
• New San Francisco 49ers starting quarterback Trey Lance may not be the number 1 seller in California, but he is number 1 in Hawaii.
• Washington Commanders wide receiver Terry McLaurin has the best-selling jersey in Maryland and Virginia, while Cincinnati Bengals QB Joe Burrow has the best-selling jersey in Ohio and West Virginia.
• Hutchinson, Parsons and Mathieu are the only three defensive players to lead a state. Forty-three of the top sellers went to quarterbacks or wide receivers, 44 if you count Atlanta Falcons tight end Kyle Pitts, whose best-selling jersey in Georgia.
Fanatics is the official apparel company of the NFL. Players receive a royalty for each shirt sold.
(Photo: Mark Konezny/USA Today)